A Greater Madison Vision laid the groundwork for updating the regional development framework by building awareness and support among leaders and stakeholders for the importance of a plan for how we grow, raising awareness of possible future growth scenarios, and identifying public values and priorities for regional development.
Drawing on public priorities identified during the AGMV process, CARPC established draft goals and objectives for regional development. A survey soliciting feedback on the draft goals and objectives was sent to local government officials in the fall of 2019. The results of this survey demonstrated widespread agreement that an updated regional development framework should focus on:
- Fostering community resilience to climate change
- Increasing access to jobs, housing and services for all people
- Conserving farmland, water resources, and natural areas
Survey responses also recommended tying the objectives more clearly to land use and development and articulating how success will be measured. CARPC staff used this feedback to revise the draft objectives. In the coming months, CARPC will continue to work with key partners and stakeholders to finalize these goals, objectives, and related indicators.
Additional steps for preparing the regional development framework will be:
- Forming a Technical Advisory Committee: Completed March 2020
- Preparing and adopting a participation plan: Completed April 2020
- Preparing population, household and employment projections: Completed July 2020
- Exploring growth concepts in local plans and other regions
- Preparing draft regional development frameworks and maps
- Preparing draft and final regional development framework