A Greater Madison Vision laid the groundwork for updating the regional development framework by building awareness and support among leaders and stakeholders for the importance of a plan for how we grow, raising awareness of possible future growth scenarios, and identifying public values and priorities for regional development.
Drawing on public priorities identified during the AGMV process, CARPC established draft goals and objectives for regional development. A survey soliciting feedback on the draft goals and objectives was sent to local government officials in the fall of 2019. The results of this survey demonstrated widespread agreement that an updated regional development framework should focus on:
- Fostering community resilience to climate change
- Increasing access to jobs, housing and services for all people
- Conserving farmland, water resources, and natural areas
Based on survey comments, CARPC also revised objectives so they are measurable and more focused more on land use and development. On October 8, 2020 the Commission adopted draft goals and objectives to guide RDF preparation.
Additional steps for preparing the regional development framework will be:
- Forming a Technical Advisory Committee: Completed March 2020
- Preparing and adopting a participation plan: Completed April 2020
- Preparing population, household and employment projections: Completed July 2020
- Exploring growth concepts in local plans and other regions: Completed Fall 2020
- Preparing draft regional development frameworks and maps: In Progress
- Preparing draft and final regional development framework